Based on conversations with students, staff and parents, we have determined the following common objectives regarding student recognition.
Students, staff & parents would like to…
- recognize students for diverse accomplishments within our school community
- use class-based recognition strategies so we can recognize more students for personalized success and growth
- include civic-type recognition categories including citizenship, kindness, contribution etc.
- gather together for whole-school celebrations at multiple points throughout the year
- align our practices of student recognition with our school goal of Belonging & Connectedness
- recognize accomplishments in relation to revised curricular expectations, including core competencies (thinking, personal & social, communication)
We know that each student learns at a different pace and each learner has unique strengths, challenges and needs. We value the hard work and effort that students demonstrate on a daily basis and we want to acknowledge their effort, growth, achievement and citizenship.
- Students and teachers co-create criteria for common recognition categories to be celebrated in the classroom environment. Some categories might include core & curricular competencies, achievement, improvement/growth, contribution, service, kindness.
- Recognition/celebration assemblies will be held three times per year. This will offer a venue to recognize student accomplishments in a variety of curricular and extra-curricular programs.